Transmission Projects - Texas department
Based on education and experience, this opening will be filled at either of these job titles/classifications in the Transmission Project Manager family:
Transmission Project Manager Principal
Transmission Project Manager Sr. = bachelor's degree + 8 years' experience
Position Summary: Manage a portfolio of predominately low to medium risk projects, or assist in the management of projects of the highest complexity, within a matrix team environment. Provide leadership, direction, training, coordination, and effective communication to initiate, plan, execute, monitor, control, and close projects in a safe, efficient, economical, risk-balanced approach to achieve short and long range goals and to obtain maximum customer satisfaction. Develop relationships and effectively communicate with all stakeholders including internal customers, external customers, team members, suppliers, contractors, vendors, and industry peers. Perform supervisory duties and responsibilities, if direct reports are assigned.
1. Plan, organize, direct, coordinate and supervise assigned project work activities, becoming proficient in all aspects with moderate management oversight.
2. Support and hold employees and contractors accountable for the AEP System Safety Process, ensuring a safe working environment focused on “Commitment to Zero Harm”.
3. Supervise, develop, review and coordinate the project plan, schedule, and budget becoming proficient in all aspects. Manage cost and timely reallocate funding.
4. Effectively communicate project details and status updates. Lead planning meetings and project updates including typical stakeholder presentations. Provide clear and concise written reports.
5. Develop and actively manage working relationships with the project team, internal and external customers or partners, contractors, vendors, and suppliers. Foster teamwork and actively monitor customer satisfaction.
6. Provide specific guidance, instruction, and training to improve design, systems, procedures, processes, schedules, and costs. Confidently challenge others at a level of informed understanding in all project work.
7. Ensure maximum customer satisfaction and demonstrate effective and efficient performance of project work activities on intermediate project level at a minimum.
8. Supervise up to 2 AEP employees, as assigned, including duties such as completion of performance plans. Develop and mentor assistant project managers.
Education: Bachelor Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business or related field of study.
Experience: Eight (8) or more years’ experience including work in one or more of these areas: major construction field experience, project estimating, project controls, and/or comparable external experience.
Experience must exhibit increasing project management and business/financial administration activities and responsibilities. Trained in one or more of the following areas: construction safety, negotiations, scope development and control, cost estimating, construction contracting, project controls and reporting, quality control, risk management.
Licenses/Certifications: Project Management Institute’s (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
Provide effective leadership, team building and meeting management as outlined in PMBOK and the AEP leadership competencies and values. Demonstrate a high level of ability, motivation, and attitude in leading a team and a project to successful conclusion.
Demonstrated proficiency in Oracle’s Primavera P6 scheduling software.
Effective and compelling communication, including the use of effective listening, with all stakeholders including team members, sponsors, management and senior management.
Apply economic analysis techniques and business acumen in project decision making and ensure alignment of project and company financial goals.
Influence the Engineering & Design, Procurement, Contracting, Estimating, and Construction procedures and processes to optimize a project. Identify opportunities for business process improvement within project scope.
Apply working knowledge of PMBOK Project Management tools and techniques.
Provide strategic thinking, planning, risk assessment and prioritization of project activities. Globally view the project from all angles such as safety, constructability, sequence, changing conditions, contingencies, contractual, predictability, level of priority, sense of direction and sense of productivity to quickly identify and to avoid or to mitigate project risks. Demonstrates sound decision making practices.
Provide organization of project activities, delegate project task assignments, confidently set team requirements and expectations, manage deliverables and hold team members accountable. Provide constructive feedback to project team members.
Effectively prioritize and manage conflict to provide solutions to issues that maximize synergies with an overriding goal to do the "right thing" for the company. Take timely independent action and know when to elevate an issue.
Proficient in scope management, utilization of risk balanced technical options, and project risk management.
Proficient in contract development and management with acceptable allocation of risks within the terms of the contract.
Evaluate and determine the skill sets and capabilities of team members then make recommendations and/or provide constructive feedback to ensure project success. Demonstrated ability to effectively lead cross-functional teams to plan and execute projects.
Act with integrity by demonstrating accountability for project assignments.
Seek input from Subject Matter Experts by asking the right questions.